Create graphics with Tableau
All Temple University students can get a free one-year license for Tableau! Tableau is a leading, easy to use visual analytics tool. Sign up on Tableau’s website and you’ll receive an activation key.
Once you install the software, start with their Tableau Training and Tutorials.
Map geospatial data
Google Fusion Tables is simple. You need a regular – non-Temple – Google account.
CartoDB creates great looking maps. A free-tier is available.
- Compose and edit using Piktochart or Infogram.
- Find great examples on Cool Infographics, Daily Infographic, and the Guardian. Updated frequently.
Get public data
Data.gov is the Federal Government’s open data initiative. Hundreds of data sets.
- The Pew Research Center has a number of data sets on different social and technology topics.
- Socrata is an open data repository with data, mostly from government sources.
Lynda.com hosts software video tutorials. All Temple students can access Lynda through TUPortal. We’ve identified the following tutorials as particularly helpful:
- Excel 2013: Power BI Features in Depth
- Excel 2013: Charts in Depth
- Excel 2013: Advanced Formulas and Functions
- Excel 2011: Excel for Mac 2011 Essential Training
- Up and Running with Tableau
If you access Lynda outside of Temple’s campus, you’ll need to identify your school’s Lynda URL (lynda.temple.edu) and then use your AccessNet ID and password.