QVC provides its customers with a variety of product offerings around the globe. The largest market for QVC is currently the US. In the US alone, QVC ships millions of packages each year to enrich its customers’ lives. The future of fulfilling customer orders and meeting or exceeding their expectations is always at the forefront of QVC’s decisions. One expectation is related to delivery speed. Some retailers, primarily online retailers, focus primarily on quick turnaround on shipping goods to customers. The faster the turnaround the more extensive the logistics/delivery network or the more costly it is. QVC doesn’t just provide its customers with products, it prides itself on top notch customer service and a rich and rewarding overall experience.
Your challenge is to analyze QVC’s customer geography, distribution network, and product mix, purchase patterns and develop a visualization that contains useful information for QVC to use to understand what the relationship between speed of product/package delivery and customer loyalty is.
Your analysis should address one or more of the following questions:
- Does the current distribution network maximize customer penetration (spend)? If not, what should QVC do to increase customer penetration with the current distribution network?
- Are there specific products or product categories that should be located in specific distribution centers?
- Do customers that receive their product sooner purchase more than customers with longer delivery times?
This data is extracted and anonymized from QVC.
There are two options for using the data. Those with experience and the technology needed to work with a large data set should choose option 2 below. Those that are working just in excel should chose option 1 below.
- A sample population was pulled from the larger data set and placed into the excel spreadsheet named “Smaller Sample set of QVC data”.
- The large data set was broken up into six excel spreadsheets (named QVC data 1, 2, 3, etc) with less than 1 million rows each. You may combine these spreadsheets and do your analysis on the larger set if you have the technology needed to do so.
There are also excel spreadsheet with the following information in them which applies to option 1 and 2 above:
- distribution center data
- order type data
- data dictionary