The Temple University Institute for Business and Information Technology (IBIT), based at the Fox School of Business, has announced a $50,000 Big Data Grant Program to fund ideas and applications for innovative research or curriculum projects by Temple faculty. IBIT is open to receiving new and innovative ideas for proposals and does not have specific requirements. Proposals that integrate a role for IBIT and benefit its member firms are preferred. The grant was developed from proceeds of the Big Data Conference held at Temple on Sept. 27. The grant program intends to nurture and showcase selected projects in future conferences on Big Data and related topics.
IBIT’s Big Data Conference attracted 119 attendees, of whom 89 percent were practitioners representing 57 firms. The conference featured 19 speakers from companies such as Walmart, NASA, Campbell Soup, Chartis, Lockheed Martin, Merck, Pfizer, Independence Blue Cross, Wawa and others.
The conference had 12 sponsors, including well-known Big Data practitioners such as Accenture, SAP and GreenPlum, as well as local startups such as ColdLight and Global IDs. IBIT members Lockheed Martin, Campbell’s, Merck, LiquidHub, Sabre Systems and Transaction Network Services also sponsored the conference. More information is available at http://bigdata.temple.edu. The Sept. 27 Big Data conference was the second big data event organized by IBIT in 2012. A Big Data Symposium was held May 21.
Members of the Big Data Conference/Grant Program Committee will review proposals, which can be sent to IBIT Director Laurel Miller at Laurel.Miller@temple.edu.
Big Data Conference/Grant Program Committee
- George Llado, Vice President, Merck
- Jonathan Brassington, CEO, LiquidHub
- Craig Conway, Chief Technology Officer, Transaction Network Services
- Jeff Hamilton, Senior Vice President, Business Technology, Pfizer
- James Golden, Lead Partner, Analytics Practice, Accenture
- Paul Pavlou, Professor, Management Information Systems, Fox School of Business
- David Schuff, Associate Professor, Management Information Systems, Fox School of Business
- Munir Mandviwalla, Associate Professor and Chair, Management Information Systems, Fox School of Business
For more information on Temple’s Institute for Business and Information Technology, visit http://ibit.temple.edu.